Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The James Bond of Xerox


Tuesday, September 12th, 2006.

There is no prevailing theme for this post, just a bunch of stuff I've decided to write for no reason other than I've got some free time and I figured that my Ci would like to read something new. So, my Ci is back from Beijing and staying with me for awhile before going back to Eugene and back to school. She'll be in school for another couple of years. I think it's okay though because I'm still really busy during the week and wouldn't be very entertaining to be around anyway. As well, I'm searching for a new home and need to get a new-used car and blah blah blah. So, things are pretty unsettled on my end. I don't think it will take two years for me to get these matters situated but my feeling is that I don't want to rush into buying a house just to buy one. I'd rather take a bit more time and find one that fits my price range and that works for me in terms of location and commute and all that.

About work, I feel better about my job and how to handle various issues as they arise. Things are going well. The forecast period for September is winding down and the company hasn't blown up... not yet, anyway... But seriously, even when the job throws me a curve-ball, I've been able to handle it pretty well. Like yesterday for example. I came in to the office at about 7:50am and logged into my email. After the PC booted up, my MS Outlook calendar displayed the message, "You have a meeting in _5_ minutes." WTH? I looked more closely and it turned out to be another major forecast meeting that I was driving. D'oh! So I quickly printed off some documents and rushed off to the conference room, totally unsure of how this meeting would go. When I got there, I found the room empty. Rather than question myself, I rushed into setting up the PC and getting the forecast docs on screen. As it turned out, only one person joined me in the meeting room and two others on the conference call. We talked about a couple of issues and I did my best to be pithy and direct during the presentation and we ended up finishing about an hour and a half early because the forecast was pretty much on the money. Niiiice.

Today presented its own issues, like I need to get in touch with Europe to amend their forecast based on our conversation last week. And, oh by the way, it needs to be done today and, oh by the way, they've finished their workday already. So I've done all that can be done on my end and may have to make some adjustments to their forecast on my own, which would be kind of weird... Dave Savoy - International Forecast Guru. Sounds like an office worker's James Bond title or something.

The boss has been out of the office on vacation since the beginning of the month and is due back in tomorrow. I think she'll be getting some pretty good reports on how I've handled things here, but we'll just keep on and see how things go.

Peace out!

3 comments:

sun_cici said...

My DWTX is Qiang! School will start again soon and CiCi will Jia You too. Then you'll hear more stories about how I stay up late and cut my fingers (and maybe toes too) hei hei hei...

sun_cici said...

You're fast! I just posted on my blog not long ago and I got a DW comment. hei hei hei. DanQ huhnee. Have a nice day. It's coooooold in Eugene~~~ o(>.<)"o

Unknown said...

Interesting...

Steven Burda, MBA
http://www.linkedin.com/in/burda
(feel free to connect to me; e-mail: steven.burda.mba{@}gmail.com)