Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Moving Forward


So, another post... I haven't been keeping up with these as much as I used to. Work keeps me busier these days than it has before. Actually, that's the theme of this post: I have absolutely no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life. The only thing I am sure of is that there is no ONE thing I want to do. I want to do everything. And go everywhere. Always in motion.


So, I sit here at my desk thinking about where to go and what to do next. I've only been at this job a year, but I feel that I've been stuck in this situation much longer because of the two years I spent in grad school. And I am overdue for a change. A change of scenery and perhaps even another career change.


That last one isn't too likely unless I stay here, at my present job, a while longer. But I can definitely feel that urge beginning to pull me - not too different from when I was searching for something beyond banking and ended up living in Japan for nearly three years.


If I were to go overseas again, at this point I have no idea where I'd go. I've often thought about going back to Japan, though... It was enough like the U.S. to make me feel really comfortable there, but different enough to catch my interest.


India is another place I've thought about going, but I think the chances of getting a job there are pretty slim outside of teaching... <>


So, for now, I sit and contemplate my next move. It is both a good and bad feeling at the same time. I feel restless and uncomfortable in my current situation but also hopeful when I think of all the options and opportunities that lay ahead.


It all makes me think of a famous poem, The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost:


"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."


-Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

No comments: