Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Give them Gods


Random thoughts post ahead: Continue at your own risk!

I just thought of one random thing that would make me pause and get it down in writing before the fleeting thought flies its course away from the front of my mind. Giving thought upon Egyptian culture and their usage of narcotics as a natural part of life, it occurred to me that another, non-physical form of narcotics had been simultaneously fed: religion. Now, I'm far from Expert in my knowledge of Ancient History or Theology, but it reasons to me that the successful governments throughout civilization have had at least one commonality: association, and sometimes intermingling, among church and state. The question that arose in my mind today is such that I wonder if religion has been largely a means to control people, perhaps through either preiminent structure of class/caste system or by fear, in its most primitive form.

And... was there ever really a time when human-kind simply allowed his mind free to wander about what is and what came before? Assessment of this leads one to believe that humans would tend more towards natural harmony with the environment and develop in a more "natural" manner if allowed to develop without powerful individuals seeking domination through government control and land ownership. That is, mass-customization of beliefs would not have resulted unsolicited.

D

PS I've just had a long and difficult day at work, and a tall glass of wine at home. I'm relaxing and letting my mind wander. Excuse and enjoy.

1 comment:

sun_cici said...

I think Dawei's writing is really Qiang! (Even though he said he was drunk when composing these words...which makes me feel even more stupid...^^)

I remember when I was little, like in elementry school, the teacher used to tell us that in western world, people used religion to control people. So I asked her how they did that because I thought that's really cool (I was a kid...). She couldn't explain. But I didn't mind. I still thought what she said was true. Now when I look at it, I wonder that if she didn't even have any religion, how did she come up with that kind of conclusion. In my opinion, a person can be controled "temperately" by messages heard from others. After the person gains more knowledge, s/he would be able to consider if the messages were reliable and therefore wather s/he should keep following it. Religion, in my own believe, is not something that you can force people to believe in order to control them. It's intergraded with the history, culture and so on. Most of the existing religion had been practiced or maybe questioned by many many (that many!) generations, and they still exist. I think that's way beyond anyone's ability of controling things.

About the land ownership part, I don't know... but I do like to have a big house though... and have my iris and tulips planted in the backyard. ho ho ho...

Sorry about my none-sense. You know the wild-Ci..sometimes... right?